Thursday, November 12, 2009

Lake Tahoe

I got to Tahoe with plans to spend the afternoon riding the Flume Trail neat Incline Village, NV. I took a little time when I first arrived to walk around the beach that belongs to some country club and then went to find some lunch to fuel up for my ride. Once fed, I drove and parked at the end of the trail. Most people opt to shuttle this ride and eliminate that 10 miles of road riding to the start of the trail, but I decided to save my money and ride it out. Once to the end of the road, I went into the state park that leads to the trail head and climbed up to Marlette Lake, which fed the flume that the trail is named after. Years ago, this lake and flume were used to get water down to the lower elevation mining towns in Nevada, but in the 1980's the flume was removed and a trail is left on the side of the mountain in its place. Almost the entire trail is perched on the side of a steep dropoff with great views of the lake at all times from a few hundred feet above.


I originally planned to spend the night somewhere along the Tahoe Rim Trail and spend a little more time at the lake in the morning, but the weather forecast wasn't looking too great, so I started making my way south after dinner in South Tahoe. I made it down into California before stopping for the night in Stanislaus National Forest. Fortunately, the border stop at the NV/CA state line didn't stop me for too long, but I wonder why such a thing is even necessary. Regardless, I made in and was in striking distance of Yosemite for the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment